- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1TBS coconut oil
- 3-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded if preferred and diced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans (one (15-oz) can – rinse and drain)
- fine grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or red pepper flakes)
Toppings: Spinach, avocado, chips, cilantro, cashews, lime
- In a medium-sized pot, add quinoa along with 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cover with tight-fitting lid. Simmer covered for about 17 minutes or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and keep it covered until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot. Add garlic and onion and sauté for a few minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Now add in the jalapeno and sweet potato and sauté for 5-7 minutes more.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, coriander, and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 18-20 minutes uncovered, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in the cooked quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, cayenne. Season with salt and pepper to taste, adding more spice if desired.
- Garnish soup with Spinach, cilantro, chips, avocado, cashews, lime.