Adapted from another great soup cookbook: The Daily Soup Cookbook
Leslie Kaul – Bob Spiegel – Robin Miller – Hyperion – 1999
* 10 big leaves of Napa cabbage, chopped
* 4 T. soy sauce
* 2 T. fresh lime juice
* 3 t. kosher salt
* 1/4 t. ground black pepper
* 1 lb. dry roasted peanuts
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 T. fresh minced ginger
* 2 T. peanut oil
* 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
* 1 T. sugar
* 2 t. curry powder
* 2 t. ground coriander seeds
* 1 t. turmeric
* 1/4 t. cayenne
* 1 28-oz. can of diced tomatoes
* 6 c. water
* 1 medium Idaho potato, peeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes
* 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes
* 2 T. Thai fish sauce
* 1 t. Sriracha hot pepper sauce
* more chopped peanuts for topping
To make the soup:
1. Combine the cabbage, 2 T. of soy sauce, 1 T. of lime juice, 1 t. of salt and pepper in a dish. Turn to coat the cabbage and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 min.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill or broiler.
3. Grill until lightly charred on all sides. Cut into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
4. Chop 1/2 cup of the peanuts into small pieces and set aside to use as garnish. Puree the remaining peanuts in a food processor until a thick paste forms. Set aside.
5. Puree the garlic and ginger in a food processor.
6. Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic puree, onion, and sugar and sauté until tender and golden.
7. Add curry, coriander, turmeric, remaining salt and cayenne and stir to coat the vegetables.
8. Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Add the water, potatoes, remaining soy sauce, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
10. Stir in the grilled cabbage, pureed peanuts, remaining lemon juice, and hot pepper sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
11. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with chopped peanuts.