Adapted from another great soup cookbook: The Daily Soup Cookbook
Leslie Kaul – Bob Spiegel – Robin Miller – Hyperion – 1999
• 6 Beefsteak tomatoes (about 4 lbs.), halved and seeded
• 2 T. olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 T. balsamic vinegar
• 2 t. kosher salt
• 1/2 t. ground black pepper
• 2 c. tomato juice
• 1/3 c. fresh basil leaves very lightly packed
• 1/2 lb. fresh bocconcini mozzarella, thinly sliced or torn
• 1/2 c. chopped scallions
To make the cold soup:
1. In a blender combine half of the tomatoes and all of the olive oil and garlic. Puree until smooth. Add the vinegar, salt, and pepper and process until blended.
2. Chop the remaining tomatoes into small dice. Cut the basil into very fine strips.
3. Transfer the pureed mixture to a large bowl and stir in the chopped tomatoes, juice, basil, and mozzarella.
4. Refrigerate until chilled.
5. Ladle into bowls and top with chopped scallions.