SERVES 6 – 8
From Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant.
This zesty soup is served at The Mariner’s, a restaurant on Anguilla.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Minced fresh parsley
How to make the soup:
In a soup pot, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, and spices. Sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add the stock, wine, and rice, and simmer until the vegetables are tender about 25 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.