This soup is best when made a day or three in advance.
• 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 6 cloves garlic chopped (not pressed)
• 2 onions chopped
• 3 peppers (1 each yellow, orange, green)
• 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
• 1 t. ground cumin
• 1 Tbsp chili powder
• 1/2 t. dried oregano
• 1/2 t. ground mustard seed
• 1 can (28 oz.) chopped, peeled, tomatoes in juice or water
• 2 cups vegetable stock
• 2 cans (14 oz.) black beans in water, 1 can rinsed in water, the other not rinsed.
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro to garnish
• hot sauce (our favorite is Melinda’s Habanero Hot Sauce)
• tortilla chips
To make the soup:
In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, peppers, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and mustard and cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and stock, stir well to combine, and simmer, partly covered, 45 minutes. Add beans and cook another 10 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and stir in cilantro. Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips and hot sauce.