* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 3 large carrots, diced
* 3 celery stalks, diced
* 1 large onion, diced
* 3 cloves garlic
* 2-inch piece fresh ginger
* 2 qts. vegetable stock
* 2 cups dried RED (they are really orange) lentils
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* Juice of 1/2 lime
* 1 Tbs. mild curry powder
* 1 Tbs. paprika
* 1/2 Tbs. ground turmeric
* 1/2 Tbs. garam masala (it is a mix of spices)
* 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
* Pita chips
* a dollop of plain yogurt
To make Lentil Soup:
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. When very hot, add diced vegetables. Stir 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables begin to release juices and aromas. Add garlic and ginger, and stir. Reduce heat to low, and cover pot tightly. Cook vegetables for about 10 minutes, or until softened.
2. Mix spices together well. Stir into vegetables, and cook about 5 minutes more, or until fragrant.
3. Add vegetable stock and lentils, and increase heat to medium. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Season to taste, and stir in lime juice until well blended.
4. Top with Pita chips and yogurt
PER Serving: 270 CAL; 18 G PROT; 8 G TOTAL FAT (1 SAT. FAT); 33 G CARB.; 0 MG CHOL; 200 MG SOD.; 12 G FIBER; 6 G SUGAR