Spicy Tomato Soup
Adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook
* 1.5 cups minced onion
* 3 cloves crushed garlic
* 1 T. butter
* 1 T. olive oil
* 1 t. dill weed
* 1/8 t. (or more) black pepper
* 6 c. chopped canned tomatoes plus their juice
* 1 T. honey
* 1 T. sour cream
* yogurt, parsley, and scallions for topping
How to make the soup:
1. Saute’ onions and garlic over low heat, with salt, in combined olive oil and butter in stockpot. Cook five minutes – until translucent, then add dill, pepper, tomatoes, and honey.
2. Cover and simmer at least 45 minutes on low heat.
3. Five minutes before serving, whisk in sour cream and taste to correct seasonings. Serve hot, topped with yogurt, parsley, and scallions.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!