adapted from http://www.soupsong.com/rplum1.html
• 2 14 oz. cans of sliced peaches in juice.
(or 2 lbs of ripe fresh peaches would be even better)
• 1 6-inch thin strip of orange zest
• 1 1/2 cups orange juice
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• cayenne pepper to taste
Garnish: Spoonful of yogurt swirled in each serving
To make the soup:
1. Mix the peaches, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and honey in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the fruit is very soft.
2. Purée the entire contents in a blender, skins and all. Stir in the yogurt. Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
3. Then add a light sprinkle of cayenne & then taste. Keep adding the cayenne until you get the desired kick. 🙂
4. If you plan to serve it cold, chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
When ready to serve, add more orange juice, if you like, to achieve your preferred consistency. Swirl a spoonful of yogurt into each portion as a garnish.