Adapted from another great vegetarian cookbook: Vegetarian Express. Atlas, Nava, and Lillian Kayte. Boston: Little, Brown and, 1996.
• 1 1/2 T. olive oil
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
• 1/2 t. ground cumin
• 2 T. unbleached flour
• 2 c. frozen corn kernels
• 3 c. water
• 1 1/2 c. Knorr vegetarian bullion
• 1 c. whole milk
• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
To make the soup:
1. Heat the oil in the soup pot over low heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, cumin, and pepper until all are tender.
2. Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir.
3. Add the remaining ingredients except for the milk. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the milk and simmer till hot.