For the soup
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 8 cups Vegetable Broth
- 4 pounds butternut squash (I bought pre-cut from Costco)
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the nut butter
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1-ounce whiskey or bourbon
- 1/4 cup pecans
For the soup: In a heavy-bottomed 8-quart casserole, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and leeks and gently stew them, covered, until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the stock. Bring the stock and onions to a boil and then add the squash.
Reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is just tender but cooked through. Remove from the heat.
For the nut butter: Combine the 4 tablespoons of butter, scallion, whiskey and pecans in a blender or food processor and pulse until well mixed.
To serve, place a dollop of nut butter in a serving bowl and ladle the soup over it.