• 12 cups drained and rinsed canned black beans (six 19-ounce cans)
• 4 cups vegetable stock
• 2 tablespoons cooking oil
• 2 onion, chopped
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
• 2 avocados, preferably Hass, cut into 1/2-inch dice
• 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
• 6 radishes, halved and sliced thin
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
TO MAKE THE SOUP:
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the onion and 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft about 5 minutes.
2. Add 6 cups of the beans and 4 cups of stock. Boil.
3. puree. Add pepper to taste. Simmer until hot, about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the avocados, cilantro, radishes, lime juice, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Mix gently. Spoon the soup into bowls and top with the salsa.