• 1 cup uncooked red quinoa, rinsed and drained
• 1TBS coconut oil
• 3-6 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 cup diced sweet onion
• 1 jalapeno, seeded if preferred and diced
• 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
• 1.5 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp ground coriander
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1.5 cups cooked black beans (one (15-oz) can rinsed and drained)
• fine grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste (
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or red pepper flakes)
Toppings: Spinach, avocado, chips, cilantro, cashews, lime
1. In a medium-sized pot, add quinoa along with 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cover with tight-fitting lid. Simmer covered for about 17 minutes or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Remove from heat, fluff with fork, and keep it covered until ready to use.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot. Add garlic and onion and sauté for a few minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Now add in the jalapeno and sweet potato and sauté for 5-7 minutes more.
3. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, coriander, and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 18-20 minutes uncovered, or until the potatoes are tender.
4. Just before serving, stir in the cooked quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, cayenne. Season with salt and pepper to taste, adding more spice if desired.
5. Garnish soup with Spinach, cilantro, chips, avocado, cashews, lime.